7.09.2011

and here we are...

I don't know why I am so drawn to this picture. It kind of cracks me up, really. I had pumped some milk for Kodiak in preparation of an evening I thought I would be getting away with a friend. It didn't end up happening, and so I had this bottle of milk in the fridge. I think I was trying to get some cleaning done or something...and had given Journey this bottle to see if it would entertain Kodiak for a few moments. I love seeing her be the attentive big sister that she is. And sweet Asher...in his own world, in his own mind. Something about all of this just makes me smile and I wanted to share it. An ordinary moment. They make up the heartbeat of our days. It seems like, as the summer heats up to uncomfortable temperatures, we have been slowing our pace and finding new rhythm throughout daily life. We are spending a LOT more time indoors and much more time at home. The past few weeks we have been navigating what that means for us. I have been feeling a pull to incorporate a bit more of a natural rhythm to our days that enables us to find a peaceful groove while actually accomplishing the things that seem to be important in the workings of family living (like cleaning, for example...and for the homeschooling family...learning!). Apart from that, we have been doing our best to stay COOL during these crazy summer days and still try and get together with the people in our lives who nurture and encourage us. We had a little hoop date with some dear, treasured friends a couple of weeks ago. We brought our hoops and the kids all helped one another decorate some homemade hoops! There were 8 kids among 3 mamas. Once the decorating was finished, we went to a shady spot in the grass to hoop it up. That didn't last long with the extreme temperatures, so we opted to walk down to the pool and jump in!
We've made a list of "things to do". I am working on putting them each onto individual craft sticks and place them in a "boredom jar" because I have been hearing that word lately from my oldest one's mouth. BORED. I have never heard him say this before. I know the heat is difficult to embrace and so it helps to have something on hand to pull out and give instant idea to. Face paints are on the list. Journey decided to give it a go the other day...she likes butterflies best.
And for the 4th...we had some fun getting a little festive...
(papa and asher talking over the grill)
our 4th was full of fun. and backyard fireworks. and a beautiful lightening show watched from our trampoline!

2 comments:

Vonda said...

Wow! What a surprise! 6 months of activities. I enjoyed so much living vicariously through it all!

kimberly said...

loved seeing all the photos! great activities for those curious, exploring little ones.....great learning experiences!
xoxoxo