Last night, I was laying in bed with Asher for "ONE minute" at his request. It is one of my most favorite requests of his. He was quietly staring up at the ceiling with a look of ponder in his eyes. I whispered in his ear "what are you thinking about buddy?".
He said "good".
I was about to open my mouth and re-ask the question, thinking that maybe he didn't understand what I was asking him. And then I stopped myself, realizing that he DID get the question. I was the one who didn't understand.
Convincing my mind to dwell on the "good" is a lesson I come up against again and again and again in this life. It always seems to be the subtle whispers that take the greatest hold. So, I try to imitate Asher's wisdom with the dwelling on 10 things that I am loving right now in my life. 10 things...because we have to start somewhere!
1. The tan lines that are appearing on my little girl's shoulders...leaving behind evidence of the hours spent splashing and floating in the summer sun.
2. The way she whispers "there waldo" while pointing to every object and person illustrated on the pages as we search and study the Where's Waldo books.
3. Listening to acoustic guitar strummed by my dad's careful hands and my cousins accompaniment and watching the way my little boy dances energetically about to the created rhythm in his tie-dyed underwear. It takes me back to when I was little and the joy that encompassed me when hearing the same music.
4. The storms that have been visiting us. The way the wind lashes and the sky darkens and the smell of earth lifts up into the air.
5. My clean home and the thankfulness that I feel for my mom...always lending a hand, always working hard to help make life a little more enjoyable for her daughters. I have been looking around my house and just feeling so much more peace from the organization and space. It isn't my strong point...organization...and sometimes it takes the people who love you most to come up with a plan to help. Thank you!
6. Homemade guacamole and the way my little girl shares a bowl with me...loving it even MORE than her mama, I must say!
7. Our library visits and the way that each one delights Asher in such a way where he wants to hold each book in his lap on the way home. I love how he takes such pride in sharing his library books with others and learning all about new creatures. I love how he picks one subject and wants to check out every possible book to bring home. I love that he is eager to learn.
8. Dreaming up sewing projects and knowing that there is a sale this coming Saturday at my favorite fabric store!
9. Sitting on the couch with my husband, after the children have gone to sleep, with the TV off and a book in our hands...reading a chapter a night together.
10. The listening ears of my dad...and his wisdom and open way of helping each person to be heard and understood. I learn so very much from him.
Perhaps I will make this a weekly ritual...the listing of 10 things. I wish to genuinely answer "good" whenever someone asks me what I am thinking about.